WYSIWYG

I've added a new feature to the blog: Ask The D.A. If you want to know the answer to "why this happened" or just have a question about the justice system, leave your question, named or anonymous, and I will try to answer. Keep in mind that this is a privately maintained site, not involved with taxpayer money, and that I can ethically neither give legal advice or talk about PENDING cases.

On this site I have included a variety of published writings, most on national criminal justice issues, some book reviews I was asked to write for the National Law Journal and the Wall Street Journal, and some more regional observations about where I live, northwest Oregon.

Most of you familiar with computers know the expression WSIWYG - for the uninitiated,
"What You See Is What You Get." My goal as an elected official is to be just that: as little artifice as possible for someone who has to be elected to do my job. I have just been elected to my fourth 4-year term (which begins in January of 2007) and I continue to be a working prosecutor - meaning a District Attorney who appears in court several times a week. I enjoy writing and discussing my opinions on criminal justice and am fortunate to be asked to speak on these subjects to groups of prosecutors, lawyers, and activists around the United States.

As the local District Attorney I am bound to anger those who have friends or families of people who get charged with crimes. I think it is extremely important that the citizens of Clatsop County know that justice should be the same no matter who you know or how much money you have. I have prosecuted - and convicted - lawyers, psychologists, doctors, police officers, and even one of the largest seafood processers in the region. This means I don't get invited to a lot of parties.

One prominent local defense attorney complained that "it used to be fun to practice law in Clatsop County," and it wasn't "any more because of Josh Marquis." It was meant as an insult but I take it as a compliment.

I have used the Archives section to republish articles that otherwise are locked behind pay-to-view websites. So feel free to browse and comment.

WYSIWYG.